Knowledge Warehouse (KW) is a SAP AG product that empowers in building, development, integration, translation and exchange of various knowledge of an enterprise through different user friendly media. The information and data that is stored is used as the knowledge, helping the organization to make the best use of it through business rules, better practices with the decisions being duly supported by the systems.
The SAP KW can integrate through various methods of information systems like data models, documentation, books and training materials. Apart from the business sector the knowledge warehouses are also used in other environments like education sector, medicine, security and also justice.
In KW, the user interface is the medium of interaction of the user in the system. The user manages and customizes the components of the data base by adding various presentation files including audio and video files. A number of packages versions are provided by the SAP that enables the user in easily developing, translating, exchanging and transferring the data.
Generally two components are necessary for the functioning of SAP KW - the sanction of the workers and a Windows 2000 system to get the content available through IIS server. In some local services additional servers may be called for that are well controllable by SAP. To make additional inquiries from the different points of an organization, cache servers are required that helps as temporary storage of data when final transactions are carried on.
The knowledge from the warehouse reaches the user in the following ways -
1. The web server serves as a medium presenting a complete list of documented information.
2. The knowledge can be reached through other context sensitive help from other applications.
3. An independent windows based system containing help files is created by which the users can access the documents.
Benefits of KW
1. Official documentation of every transaction is provided by the KW allowing other companies to customize only those documents which have been granted the permission. The users have access to the documents needed for any type of transaction.
2. Documents, manuals, training materials and handbooks can be easily viewed by the users to get a complete picture of the organization and the transaction.
3. The full documented list of every transaction is provided by the KW software which can be customized by the organization as per requirements.
4. KW maintains a documented record of all transactions for referential use in future and also helps to maintain the standards of performance.
5. It provides an easy access of the knowledge to the users and also a through study of the information.
6. KW maintains a complete history and records of all transactions of an organization.